Please click here to browse through our history gallery. Contributions are always welcome! To view some cine footage from the late 1960’s please click here. As part of their history studies our children re-
Alderman Cogan’s School is one of the oldest schools in Hull. It was originally in Salthouse Lane and was founded by Alderman Cogan in 1753 and opened in 1755 to educate and clothe 20 poor girls. There is a picture of him in the school foyer. He was born in 1678. He was Sheriff of Hull in 1714 and Lord Mayor in 1717 and 1736. He was an Alderman for 57 years and he died in 1774 at the age of 96. Click here to find out more about Alderman William Cogan.
The current school has the famous old stone originally built in over the doorway of the school premises in Salthouse Lane. The letters of this curious inscription are the initials of the following words:
“Oh most transcendent being aid and sanctify this gift O Lord Jesus Christ that many orphans may say Amen”
The character of the school has obviously changed over the years.
The foundation stone for this particular building was laid in 1955 when it was opened as a Secondary Modern School. In 1969 it became a Junior High and in 1988, a Primary School for pupils aged 4 – 11 years.
The school today is a voluntary aided Church of England School with Alderman Cogan Trustees. Until recently the Alderman Cogan Trust stated that any girl who attended the school was entitled to a bible and a small dowry when they got married.
Many of Alderman Cogan’s ex-
The School Badge
At Alderman Cogan’s everyone is very proud of the distinctive school badge that represents so much of the history of the school.
The Cogan or “Coggan” family is a famous one that appears in many records of British History. The family were founded as a knightly family in about 1170. The three leaves, visor and motto “Constans Fidei” are taken from the Cogan family coat of arms. The crown is taken from the Arms of Hull. The two quill pens refer to education. The head of the pelican pecking herself is an emblem of charity and the key hanging from the neck is reference to the York Diocesan Council of Education.
The design therefore represents the old charity school, the church interest, the association with Hull and its educational life, and the Cogan family. The badge is part of the school identity.